Aside from being durable and almost unbreakable, metallic garage doors add a modern look to any home. Unfortunately, after a long time, the door would start to lose some of its metallic luster. If your aluminum or steel garage door already looks old and tired, then it’s time for you to treat them to look new again. Steel is one of the most durable materials available out there and it will not tarnish, but exposure to elements can eventually cause it to lose its luster.
There are many ways to maintain the luster of your steel garage door, but be careful because some of these methods may do more harm than good. This article will tell you the best way to protect and restore the luster of your garage door.
Protect Your Garage Door’s Luster
Sometimes, it may seem that the easiest option to keep your garage door looking shiny is by repainting it. However, that is not the right way to maintain a steel garage door because doing so will lead to loss of its initial finish because of the new paint coat. A better and similar solution is by applying a resistant protecting coating all over it. Applying a resistant coating has many advantages such as:
- It restores the initial finish of you metallic garage door.
- It forms a barrier preventing oxidation, acid rain, and rust.
- It repels dust particles, so you don’t have to clean the garage door often.
- It’s easy to apply even for absolute beginners.
- It looks awesome.
- It lasts longer than paint.
Giving the Garage Door the Shine It Lost
If your garage door has already lost its luster, don’t panic. There is still a way to give back the shine it lost. It is very simple to do and doesn’t cost a lot. It is definitely better than looking at an old-looking metallic garage door and 100 times better than buying a new one. Here’s how to do it:
- With a good quality prep cleaner and water, wash the entire garage door surface. Make sure to check if there are chalk and other residues and wipe them with a clean rag. After that, rinse the garage door well so that there are no more bubbles or suds remaining and let it dry naturally.
- When the newly cleaned garage door is dry, it’s time to apply the protective coating product. If you want to make the task easier and more efficient, you can buy a poly sponge or a high-quality brush. You also have the option to make your own applicator with a clean, lint-free cloth. Make sure that the coating is evenly distributed.
- After applying the coating, let the garage door dry for about 15 minutes.
- As an option, you can apply a second coating if you want it to last a very long time.
- After the coating is 100 % dry, check the garage door for areas you may have missed. Simply apply a coating on those areas.
- Step back and admire your work.
Protecting and restoring the shine and luster of your garage door are a lot easier and more cost-efficient than repainting it or buying a new one. However, if it is more than just the luster issue that needs to be addressed, like if the garage door’s performance is also slowly deteriorating, then it’s time to call garage door companies for possible repair and maintenance.