It is very important to use the correct size garage door springs when replacing the springs on your garage door. You also need to make sure you are using the right type of spring.
If your springs are too small for your door, then the door will be heavier than it should be for the opener. It can fall or wear out your opener easily. The springs will most likely break or snap more quickly too.
The way to figure out the correct sized spring for your door, is to figure out the weight of the door. This is done with a common measuring tool garage door techs carry on their trucks.
There are 2 options once the weight of the door is determined.
- Install a single spring system. This is recommended for one car garage doors only or very light 2 car garage doors.
- Install a double spring system. This is the preferred installation for 2 car garage doors and all heavy garage doors.
If you want a 1 spring system on a 2 car garage door, it can work. But we don’t recommend for the following reasons:
- Shorter Life Span: single springs don’t last as long as double springs. It’s a higher upfront cost, but lower over the life of the spring or springs.
- Safety: Single spring systems carry a bigger risk of springs snapping while the door is in motion. If this happens, the door can fall quickly down and damage property or worse, a person.
- Opener Wear and Tear: The door will be heavier, which will wear down the opener more quickly. More money to replace it sooner!
Conversely, there are some big advantages to installing a 2 spring system on your 2 car garage door.
- They last longer! They can last up to twice as long as some single spring systems.
- If a spring does break or snap while the door is moving, the 2nd spring acts as a backup to support the door so it doesn’t fall. It is VERY rare that both springs would snap at the same time.
- 2 springs make your door much lighter, so the opener has a much easier time opening and closing it. This will allow your to get more years out of your opener.
You can see in the picture above the broken springs and the new ones we installed. You’ll notice they are MUCH bigger than the older springs. These old springs are ONLY 4 years old, and they already snapped! This is what happens when you put in the wrong size.
Correctly sizing your garage door springs will ensure accidents don’t happen.
If you’re in the Houston area, give Perfect Solutions a call so we can fit the proper size springs for your door and ensure your safety!